When visiting Ollantaytambo, there are several activities and attractions you can enjoy. Here are some recommendations for things to do when exploring Ollantaytambo:
- Explore the Ollantaytambo Archaeological Site: Start your visit by exploring the impressive Ollantaytambo Archaeological Site. This Inca fortress features massive stone terraces, intricate stonework, and well-preserved ruins. Climb to the top of the site for panoramic views of the town and the surrounding Sacred Valley.
- Wander through the Town’s Historic Streets: Ollantaytambo has well-preserved colonial architecture and narrow cobblestone streets that make it a delight to explore on foot. Take a leisurely stroll through the town, visit the local market, and appreciate the traditional houses and Inca foundations that blend into the modern structures.
- Visit the Pinkuylluna Mountain Granaries: Hike up to the Pinkuylluna Mountain Granaries, located on the hillside overlooking Ollantaytambo. These ancient Inca storage structures offer a glimpse into the Inca agricultural and preservation techniques. The hike offers beautiful views of the town and the surrounding landscape.
- Explore the Local Museums: Ollantaytambo is home to a few small but interesting museums. The Museo Inkary is dedicated to Inca history and showcases artifacts and exhibits related to the region’s rich cultural heritage. The ChocoMuseum is a chocolate museum where you can learn about the cocoa-making process and even make your own chocolate.
- Take a Scenic Walk by the Urubamba River: The Urubamba River flows through Ollantaytambo, offering a picturesque setting for a relaxing walk. Enjoy the tranquil atmosphere, listen to the sound of the river, and take in the beautiful natural scenery.
- Experience Traditional Andean Life: Engage with the local community and experience traditional Andean life by participating in a cultural exchange or visiting a local community project. You can learn about traditional weaving techniques, agricultural practices, or even participate in a cooking class to discover Andean cuisine.
- Shop for Local Crafts and Souvenirs: Ollantaytambo is known for its vibrant craft markets and artisanal products. Take some time to browse through the markets and shops where you’ll find textiles, jewelry, ceramics, and other handmade crafts. It’s an excellent opportunity to support local artisans and bring home unique souvenirs.
- Enjoy Outdoor Activities: The surrounding area of Ollantaytambo offers opportunities for outdoor adventures. You can go hiking in the nearby mountains, explore other archaeological sites in the Sacred Valley, or even engage in adrenaline-pumping activities like ziplining or river rafting.
Remember to take into account the altitude of Ollantaytambo and give yourself time to acclimatize if you’re coming from lower elevations. Stay hydrated, wear appropriate clothing and footwear, and check the weather conditions before planning outdoor activities.
Ollantaytambo offers a mix of history, culture, natural beauty, and local experiences, making it an exciting destination to explore in the Sacred Valley of Peru.